First Marathon and other Insane things

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Getting started

I think I am doing a crazy thing: I will be running a marathon.

Yes, I have been a runner on and off all of my life. I ran laps around the playground with my 5th grade pal, Trevor. I ran Cross Country in high school, even track. I walked on to my college team but bailed after I had a recurring injury. But not once had I run longer than 12 miles before deciding that I was going to run 26.2. And better yet: the hilly course of San Francisco.



It just seems insane.

That is, I thought it was insane a few years ago. Sure, my brother has run several marathons, but it just seemed nutty to do so.

Even more insane, I have become rather fixated on doing this well. I have a co-worker who went from non-runner to Boston-2:42 finisher who recommened Pete Pftizinger's Advanced Marathoning, and so I am following that plan.

Today is the start day of the 18 week, 55 mile per week (peak) plan for me. I will be running 7 miles, including 10 x 100 meter strides. Not sure exactly what the strides are going to feel like or be like, having not done anything close to speed work since high school. Oh, and it is kind of raining today, so that'll be loads of fun.

I will use this forum to sound out my thoughts on this whole process, my level of commitment, my struggles, the use of a heart monitor (that'll be new to me), and to ponder the notion that if I am insane for doing this, there must be 100,000 other insane runners out there who are equally worthy of being committed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home