First Marathon and other Insane things

Friday, April 07, 2006

10 dull miles of General Aerobic, plus an experiment

Thursday's run: 10 miles of General Aerobic at 8:46 pace, controlled for data.

Thursday morning, I took the same route as in last Thursday's run, with only a few new observations about these blocks in the Mission:
What had me more distracted was the experiment, or data collection, that Mike had me do in order to help understand what heart rate ranges I should be in on my various runs. (Read this post and this post if you need background on heart rate monitoring). The protocol was this:
  • 1 mile warm-up
  • 3 miles with a target heart rate of 145 bpm
  • 3 miles with a target at 155 bpm
  • 3 miles with a target at 165 bpm
The trouble with me seeking to run near an average heart rate is that I can't do it very well. It's like having a car with an outrageously sensitive accelerator, so you accelerate and brake, accelerate and brake, all in an attempt to keep a consistent speed. Instead, you accelerate and overshoot, break and overshoot, and keep going back and forth until you hit the middle. Then a hill comes along and the same thing happens.

I did use fairly narrow limits on the heart rate monitor so my heart rate didn't go too far from the target. At 145, I was barely putting one foot in front of the other at times to keep the heart rate low. At 155, I was moving faster, but still had to slow down quite a few times to keep the heart rate in range. After those two segments, with seven miles logged already, I was astonished at how fresh I felt. At 165, I was feeling like I was actually running, but still topping out above 168 a few times.

The results were modeled by Mike:

(Click to enlarge)


Qualitatively, this doesn't feel right. The point where the two lines cross is the deflection point that Mike discussed in his comments a few days ago. That deflection point suggests that at 158 bpm, I'm in Lactate Threshold Land.

This suggests that 90% of the running I did before I started with the heart rate monitor was in the LT category, or even faster. It also suggests that my goal pace should be slower than I currently think it is, which is counter-intuitive with the other methods that could be used to estimate the proper goal pace.

So I plan to keep at it, trying to figure this out with more data points and other techniques. My deciding to do a marathon is insane enough, and trying to do it via these advanced techniques, worrying about heart rate, is driving me crazier than I already am. Or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home