First Marathon and other Insane things

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Visiting the Zoo, sort of

Today's run: Medium-Long Run of 13 miles at 8:17 pace. (A little too fast.)

Today was a really nice run. The K-Star crowd was a little smaller on account of some certain
insanity. Mike, Galen, Danielle, Laura and perhaps a few others are doing The Relay at this very moment. Seriously, if you click on one link, this is the link to click on here. This involves 199 miles and a van. Still, they claim it is less insane than a marathon. My heart is with them.

I think my affection for the K-Stars grows each week. It was really nice to arrive to friendly hellos, people asking me about how my April Fool's Day prank on my wife turned out last
Saturday, friendly jabbing at my inability to judge my own pace and compulsiveness about wanting to know pretty precisely how far I'm running... It's a great group, and that's not even mentioning all the help Mike, Galen and others have provided.

That said, I stepped up to the longest run of my life today (but only by a half-mile or so). The route starts off the same as last week, but at Sloat Ave. on the Great Highway, we turned left and ran down to the tip of Lake Merced, then back up Sunset Blvd. This puts us in close proximity to the Northern border of the San Francisco Zoo, and on a clear day that started to turn a little warmer in the midst of all this rain rain rain rain rain rain rain, I was surprised to see fewer people approaching the Zoo. This Zoo is not reputed to be the best in the Bay Area (Oakland's is), but it carries a few nice memories. The first time my niece came to visit, we all went to the Zoo (it was a cold day). She's three now.


Brent with his niece at the Zoo!

The run was pretty good. Jacob, a K-Star who usually runs well ahead of the group, decided to stick with me. I could tell, just about every step of the way, he was holding back, so it felt like an especially nice kindness to stick with me for the long run.

It was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home