First Marathon and other Insane things

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Ouch ouch ouch

Tuesday's run: 10 miles: 3 miles of Warm Up at 8:21 pace, Lactate Threshold run of 5 miles at 7:01 pace, 2 mile Cool-down at 8:41 pace.

Monday night: leading off in the bottom of the first, I hit a grounder to shortstop and press the defense by sprinting down the baseline to try to beat it out. The throw is rushed and not handled by the firstbasewoman, and so I try to change my momentum and head towards second to take advantage of the overthrow. Instead, my cleats find no traction on the hard dirt and I fall, landing on my hip and scraping my elbow. Ouch.

Tuesday brought my first Lactate Threshold run in this, the Lactate Threshold (LT) and Endurance Mesocycle. To some degree, I've been preparing for this mesocycle for quite a while, and I must admit to being a bit nervous about it. I mean, I did all that heart rate monitor stuff and a big day of running to try to figure out how to do these LT runs, after all. My target pace would be between 7:00 and 7:05 per mile, according to these machinations.

With that nervousness, I was not optimistic that I'd meet pace, because:
  • I had a really hard time the last time I tried to make a less aggressive pace.
  • Thomas said to me that the first time he did this program, he never reached his LT pace. And Thomas is fast.
  • I did not get enough sleep the night before. Thank you, GCN #122242!
  • Potentially, the spill I took at first base would create bothersome pains.
In order to do a paced run on something other than a track, I took some pains to measure out a route, making note of where the mile markers would be (example: Mile 1 was at the sharp curve near the overcrossing near Pier 39).

As I began my warm up miles, heading towards Aquatic Park, I saw a bunch of people wearing Jint-gear and realized that my route was flawed. The area of my route that passes by PhoneCompanyPark would be crowded with people approaching for the night game! While running, using whatever reference points I had memorized, I had to recalculate my LT run plan. Mildly distressing and preoccupying.

I took the warm up pretty easily, but wound up at the three mile mark faster than I thought. I changed my watch settings, caught my breath, and started.

About half a mile in, my left knee started to register. I reached the 1 mark and noticed I was well ahead of pace, and I started to think about how I tended to start too fast in my first couple of 10K races. I was slower in mile 2, but still on pace overall. I worried at this point about overcompensating so I tried to just keep on that same pace. Mile 3 was my turnaround point (to avoid the crowds at the ballpark), and I was a hair slower. Wondering how I could make it two more miles at this pace, I guess I stepped it up. I noticed that whenever my breathing got a bit heavy, I switched modes and relied on my legs to propell me (does anyone know what I'm talking about?) I reached mile 5 and was pleased to note two things: 1) my time was good! 2) my knee didn't hurt the whole way through. Here are my splits:
  • Mile 1: 6:50
  • Mile 2: 7:05
  • Mile 3: 7:07
  • Mile 4: 6:54
  • Mile 5: 7:07
An average pace of 7:01, which is considerably faster than I thought I'd do, and on the fast side of the target range. Interesting to note than none of my splits (except Mile 2, barely) were inside the target range, though.
My cool down was easy going, though filled with worry about my knees, which seemed to take turns setting off mild signals, seemingly saying:

Hi. I'm here to bother you, but just do so enough to make you think about it. I'm not going to double you over in pain, nor impede your progress. I'll just mess with your head and get all the readers on your blog to yell at you to pare back your program.


One strange sight: A cruise ship, docked at Pier 35, looming high above the waterline. From a mile away, it seems to be out of place, since nothing along the waterfront is that tall. Must have had a unique view of Telegraph Hill from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home