First Marathon and other Insane things

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Recovery run in a Recovery week

Today's run: Recovery run of 5 miles at 9:10 pace.

I need a perpetual reminder about delayed onset muscle soreness. Yesterday's run felt just fine, but today started off a little rough, certainly related to Monday's softball game I recall in particular one chase/challenge I set up: I was on second with one out. When I saw the fly ball hit to Right Center, I stayed pretty glued to second base instead of taking a bit of a lead, thinking that if the ball was caught I'd tag up and reach third, and if it dropped (which I was pretty sure it would), I'd make it a race to home plate. The ball dropped, and I took off, running as fast as I could and reaching the plate ahead of the throw. I'm pretty sure that kind of sprint was not on the program.

While I thought towards the beginning of the run that I didn't think I needed a Recovery run in between two General Aerobic, moderate length runs, I was wrong about that. It was good to go slow and not that far. My perceptions are definitely changing though: I don't think of an 8 miler as significantly as I did before. What a difference a couple of months makes!
• • •
Today: a bit colder and overcast, 1 and 2/3 Mission Loops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home