First Marathon and other Insane things

Monday, May 22, 2006

Caught in the downpour

Sunday's run: Recovery run of 3 miles at 8:38 pace
21 miles last week. Marathon is 10 weeks from yesterday!

With limited time in my day to squeeze in a Recovery run, hopeful that my knee would hold and that the run would set me right to get me back on track for more miles this coming week, I started my run at the precise moment that the light drizzle in the skies turned to a full downpour. The light to cross Cesar Chavez changed, and I was starting my run drenched from the start.

At least my shoes stayed somewhat dry and I had remembered to wear a hat.

One Mission Loop was about all I did, hoping to do the 5 miles that my schedule calls for, thinking I might cut it to four if the knee started up. Unlike Saturday's run, I started to become aware of my knee at around mile 2, and by the time I was closing in on the 3 mile mark (and finishing the loop), I felt some pain. Thinking that it sure isn't rest to run on a painful knee, and it sure isn't recovery to risk having the knee get worse, I stopped.

This does leave me with question marks about my schedule. It should be 6 on Tuesday, 14 on Wednesday, 6 on Thursday and 15 on Saturday (with 12 of those at Marathon Goal Pace). The consecutive days of running is what concerns me most, as it doesn't feel like 24 hours is enough rest.

•••

One more positive reflection on the K-Stars. It sure is great to run with lots of other people. Each of the past two Saturday runs have been with 5 other runners, allowing great variety in conversation and pacing partners...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home