First Marathon and other Insane things

Friday, July 14, 2006

16 times around

Today's run: Recovery run of 4 miles at 8:37 pace, including 6 x 100m strides.

Two recovery runs in a row. That's a first.

I pondered Galen's comment about my lower leg pains and the surface I was running upon, and came up with a pretty lousy answer to the question: where can I run 4 miles with a softer surface than the streets of the Mission, without hills, and without having to go too far. The only answer that was midway convenient: the track.

I haven't run basic miles around a track since I was in high school, and used the high school track after dark as a safe way to get in the miles. Then, as now, I used music to get me through it, though now, the music device is small and light enough that I can't even tell I'm wearing it. The tunes keep me distracted. Before I knew it, it was time to do the strides, and this time I had a fair sense of what 100m actually is. Still, I don't have a good sense of what I'm doing when I'm doing the strides.

The strange part about this was the pace. Maybe that track is considerably shorter than 400 meters around (since, even running in the 5th lane, my pace was much faster with a reasonably low heart-beat than most other recovery runs). Maybe it is just plain easier to run on a track than around the Mission — there certainly aren't any hills.

All in all, it didn't take me too much extra time to visit the track, and it felt like the surface was somewhat softer than concrete, so I guess I made out okay.

• • •

Two other things of note:
  • Tomorrow I will run my last tune-up race. I actually found a 10k that fits right into the schedule where it belongs, and this week of light running, part to recover from the big Sunday run, should put me ready to run well. I just have to get up early to get down there: the race is 60 miles away.
  • Speaking of getting up early: since the marathon starts at 5:30am, I am slowly trying to adapt my waking hours so that the week before the race, I'm routinely getting up at 5:00am. So far this week, the alarm has slid down from 7:00am to 6:30am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home