First Marathon and other Insane things

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Four days to go

Today's run: 6 miles of General Aerobic at 8:20 pace, including 2 miles at Marathon Goal Pace
Marathon is
4 days from today!

I woke up earlier today and got the Mission before there was much traffic, and this was good because I needed to put in two miles at a Marathon Goal Pace, and I didn't want to have to wait for traffic lights or cars at busier intersections.

There are several purposes to today's run:
  • Remind yourself of what goal pace feels like
  • Prevent the legs from losing all speed during the taper
  • Get the miles in
There was a nice fog this morning and a bit of a cool breeze, though I realized it was humid. I wore a singlet in order to see what it would be like to run in a cooler temperature without sleeves, as I will be doing on the marathon. In fact, the book calls this the Dress Rehearsal, and I was supposed to wear exactly what I am going to wear for the race. I did that for Sunday's long run, so I'm not worried.

The six miles today would be comprised of two Mission Loops (yesterday's run, exactly). I decided to find a two mile section that would avoid stoplights, so I measured out a section that starts at 24th Street heading South on Harrison, loops around Florida Street, and then ends just after turning South again on Harrison near the Best Buy.

On my way out, warming up, I felt some miscellaneous pains, but didn't feel sluggish. Florida Street was quiet, and I tried to take note of the split markers I had mapped out, as the next time through I would be timing myself more precisely. I also noted that I was going faster than I usually would on this route, largely because I usually do recovery runs here.

After a little more than 2 miles, I reached 24th Street on Harrision, hit the split button on Mike's watch (he has generously loaned this to me since my watch doesn't do splits), and picked up the pace a bit. Noting that I am not so good at knowing pace, I had figured out where half mile splits were. When I reached 0.5 miles, I was behind the 3:52 desired half-mile pace by 12 seconds, so I picked it up a bit. I tried to store in my brain the kind of leg turnover, the kind of breathing, the feel of the pace.

I reached the mile split at 7:48 for the mile, so I had balanced that mile out (3:43 for the half-mile) and missed my 7:45 target by just a few seconds. I reached the next half-mile split in a near perfect 3:51, and completed the second mile a little fast, at 7:40 (3:49 for the half-mile split). Average over the two miles: 7:44, just right.

Overall, I felt like I would get used to this pace during the race, and sometimes need to work pretty hard to maintain it. But I think that's what this is all about. It wouldn't be a marathon if it was second nature.

One run left before the big one. Expect a couple non-run posts, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home