First Marathon and other Insane things

Friday, July 28, 2006

One last dance

Today's run: Recovery run of 5 miles at 9:08 pace, including 6x100 m strides
18 miles this week, pre-race. Marathon is 2 days from today!

Today was the last run I'll do before the race! It really feels like I haven't run much at all this week, but in fact, this is about as much running as I used to do before I started gearing up to train for this marathon.

The 1 and 2/3 Mission Loops today seemed inconsequential. The only things of note were:
  • I had a little more trouble than usual keeping my heart rate in check,
  • I tested a disposable bottle with makeshift handle, per Mike's suggestion, and
  • The weather in the Mission was all of these things:
    • Cloudy
    • Foggy
    • Windy
    • Sunny
Weather on race day still seems ideal, if maybe a bit humid.

When it came time to do the strides (I remembered to do them this time), I tried to keep the pace moderate, but make sure it was faster than what I'd run in the marathon. I got the arms up and the legs up. I felt little twinges in various places that I hadn't felt during the previous 4 plus miles.

Well, back to eating more carbohydrates!

• • •

"Watch" me run!

Apparently, you'll be able to get live web updates while I'm running (note: my start time is 5:35 am).

Of course, if you live in or near the City, you can use the course map to stake out a place to watch. The course is known for not having enough spectators, so anyone who shows up to cheer will be appreciated by everyone.

To look out for me, roughly estimate the time I'll be there at 7.75 minutes per mile, starting at 5:35 am. Example: by that method, I'd be at the 20 mile mark, Haight and Divisidero, at 8:10 am. Of course, you'd want to get there earlier in case I'm ahead of pace. I imagine it would be frustrating to get there moments after I've gone by, strain yourself watching for me, and never be sure if you missed me or if I'm yet to arrive.

2 Comments:

  • You know what would be cool? If every runner had an RFID tag implanted, and then the web updates could chart your exact position in real time.

    Go Brent!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:28 AM  

  • Hey, I see you settled on the Mizuno singlet. I really like the fabric and design. Plus, not everyone out there will be wearing the same thing, unlike whatever is currently for sale at Sports Basement and the Expo.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home