First Marathon and other Insane things

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Back to normal, in a sense

(Looking for my Marathon Report? Please also look below for my Recognition post.)

Yesterday, I walked out of my front door and ran directly from my house for the first time since January. Before, I was worried that my knee would not absorb the hills, and any prolonged knee trouble would threaten my training for the marathon.

The run felt pretty good. I didn't pay any attention to my heart rate (for a change), and just ran by feel. My legs feel okay, and while it took me a few miles to warm up, the hill coming back up Mission Street went by relatively quickly and without much struggle.

Monday night, I played softball without restraint for the first time this year. The first time I came up, I blooped one into shallow Right-Center, and dashed to second when it appeared they were slow in getting the ball back in (and no one was covering second). Surprise! The pitcher covered and had the ball in his glove before I was at the bag, so I accelerated and slid, hard, with a small leap and made it to the bag before he could reach down and tag me.

The next batter blooped one into right field and as I raced towards third, the third base coach sent me home. I ran full tilt, without any restraint. In the weeks prior to the marathon, I was holding back from running full tilt and sliding for fear of pulling a muscle or otherwise injuring myself.

So: just an observation that I'm feeling okay and am enjoying the regular way of life again. I think there will be about one more post, next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home