First Marathon and other Insane things

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Lost, Locke, and my Left knee

Today's run: Medium-Long Run of 14 miles at 8:45 pace.

On television's big hit, Lost, there's a character named John Locke. Locke arrives on the island via a plane crash. Before the plane crash, he was wheelchair bound. After the crash, on the island, Locke can walk.

Yesterday, in Santa Clara, I ran without knee pain. Today, in Santa Clara, I ran 14 miles without knee pain. This is the first time since my left knee started hurting that I have been able to:
  • run on consecutive days without pain
  • run longer than 7 miles without pain
This seems almost too good to be true. Maybe Santa Clara is good for my knee...

However, the route was dull dull dull. I had to rely on the gym's map, whose longest run was 6.5 miles (supposedly: it mapped to somewhat less than that). And, and and and, it was an out and back. So I went out, and I came back. And I went out again, and I came back again. And I went out what the map said was a half-mile, and came back one last time to make 14.

The trail was mostly gravel, there was one part that I had to cross four times that was deep mud, and there was a strong headwind (where did that come from?).

The pace was nice and relaxed, and perfectly acceptable for a mid-week run like this, especially without other people to help set the pace. This was probably the longest solo-run I've ever done. Oh, and I tried another kind of energy gel and found it pretty acceptable.

I'll take tomorrow off (I'm seeing Beck at the Fillmore!), and I'll see if I can squeeze my recovery run in on Friday early enough to not fowl my Saturday morning MGP run..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home