First Marathon and other Insane things

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

More tales from the Mission

Today's run: 8 miles of General Aerobic at 8:27 pace

Due to a scheduling conflict, I was home instead of downtown today, so that meant a longer run consisting of Mission Loops (2 and 2/3). While I am getting to the point of not noticing much on these runs (barely remembering them, actually), there were a few things I saw today:
  • On Florida Street, between 18th and Mariposa, I saw a woman asleep on a cardboard box on the sidewalk. What made this sight unusual was the condition of the woman: she was not dressed like a homeless person (or any person you'd expect to be asleep on a cardboard box in the mid-afternoon sun). She wore sandals, dark blue demin pants and a leather jacket, and her face was made-up. Curious, no? She was there, asleep, both times I ran by.
  • I think the triangular building along Harrison Street, North of 17th, must have been painted recently. It looks nice, with white, Doric columns around the entrance at the point, and a deep red for the exterior walls.
  • Also on Harrison Street, there is a wide sidewalk in front of one warehouse that always seems to be filled with carefully arranged office furniture: chairs, desks, filling cabinets, old computer monitors. Today, I noticed a sign suggesting these things were for sale. Duh, I guess.
This week is a Recovery week, setting me right for what will be the most miles I'll run in a week the following week. Of course, the week consists of 41 miles, only 6 shorter than last, and it features my first speed workout (VO2 Max), but otherwise, nothing of great length (longest is 14), and nothing of great intensity (no Lactate Threshold runs).

And, because this insanity means that my running schedule dictates everything else in my life, I'm taking this week to be a vacation week. We leave for Hawaii on Thursday for a week. Surf's up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home