First Marathon and other Insane things

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Might be an issue, might not

Today's run: 6.8 miles of General Aerobic at 8:50 pace and VO2 Max workout of 5 x 600 m

Last night's softball game involved a few short sprints -- to beat out a grounder, to convert an outfield hit into a triple, etc. On one or two of those sprints, I felt something in the upper upper hamstring on my left leg.

Today, as I began my warm up run before the track workout as slowly as I could, I felt most of the left leg feeling a bit lame. Unfortunately, this feeling of lamness waxed and waned, instead of just fading as I got warm. Also unfortunately, I had to use a bathroom, and I was mistaken about my notion that a bathroom was not far down the road on my initial, intended route down MLK.


I was supposed to add a mile anyway, but I was going to do so as a cool down after the track session. Instead, I looped around the Great Highway (very nice view of the ocean) to where I knew there was a bathroom, and came back.

My heart rate stayed exceptionally low (averaged 141), and I am astonished I wasn't running over 9:00/mile.

The track session started fine, though I didn't push as hard as I did last week, and it showed on the splits. I was pleased, however, that I was keeping closer to my target pace, instead of wildly erring underneath it. One time, I hit the target exactly:
  • 2:22
  • 2:19
  • 2:21
  • 2:24 (on target)
  • 2:22
My three sessions at the track (each bar color represents a different session):
These 600m sprints (if you can call it that) just don't seem that hard. Count that in the column of evidence that my 10K pace is probably around the pace I raced on that DSE race, not what I did Saturday.

I am a bit worried about the leg. Tomorrow, I'll be running in Santa Clara again. Maybe it'll have the same healing qualities it had last time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home