First Marathon and other Insane things

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Next Visit to the Track, Next Mesocycle

Today's run: 5.5 miles of General Aerobic at 8:45 pace and VO2 Max workout of 6 x 600 m

Just two days after the longest run of my life, I nearly forgot that I might not feel fresh and ready to run today. Then I started my warm-up run of 5.5 miles, and my quads were the first to complain. I felt sluggish, but my heart rate never really got up. I hit the turnaround point and headed back up the hills on MLK Drive, and just didn't feel like going very fast. Still, 8:45 pace is perfectly acceptable, though it is the slowest General Aerobic run I've done in San Francisco. On the way back, I caught a few pitches of a baseball game. First pitch for a strike, next pitch a single to right-center, and then an overthrown pick-off attempt brought the runner to third.

I felt like the first of my 600 meter runs, targeting a theoretical 5K pace like last time, was going to indicate that the set would be rather difficult. I finished it one second faster than my target pace, but that was four seconds slower than all of my 600m runs last time. Then I got a little excited since I peeled off the next three at 2:21, pleased with my consistency, and also pleased that I was close enough to the target pace. But then I sensed the end was near, and sped up.

A comparison between last time (blue) and this:All of them under the target, all of them slower than last time, but the last one being the same speed (#5 last time = #6 this time).

• • •

I've now begun the third mesocycle of the training program: Race Preparation. This mesocycle, four weeks long, features a trip to the track every week, and two 10k races (one of which will be simulated this Saturday). There will be the longest Marathon Goal Pace run (14 miles after a 3 mile warm-up), and I will attempt another longest run ever at 22 miles. I will average 50 miles each week.

I think this is like the last, long hill in a big run. If I can stay healthy and get these four weeks done, I'll feel like the remaining weeks before the race will be, in effect, downhill.

Then there's just the race itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home