First Marathon and other Insane things

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Gatorade Slushies, Mahalo

Today's run: 8 miles of General Aerobic at 9:06 pace including 6x100m strides

When the sun came up, bright amd clear, at 6am, I did not bolt out of bed and get on the road. My penalty for this was to run in direct sun, in temperatures 15-20 warmer than I am used to. I had been emboldened yesterday, seeing it remain cool and overcast all morning. And the route I chose had long rolling hills instead of Thursday's route of short rolling hills.

However: I conquered the blinding-effect of last run with a hat and preventattive dabbing of my eyes with kleenex. Pretty effective, and it is making me second-guess what shorts to wear tomorrow (different pocket arrangement).

Oh. Look to the left: stunning views of the ocean, Kahoolawe, Molokini, Lanai and the Western side of Maui. Look to the right and see hills covered in palm trees. Ho hum. It's so darn beautiful here it almost makes me forget that I'm running slow, out of breath, sweating like a dog and struggling to get up hills on what should be a low-intensity run. I was toasted enough at the end that I didn't get in all 8 of the 100m strides on my plan.

When I got back to the place we're staying, I took a quick dip in the ocean and used the outdoor shower to cool off, then had some Gatorade, then felt insipred to blend the ice and Gatarade together with some orange juice, milk and fresh pineapple to make a Gatorade Slushie. Bizarre, but good. (Truth be told, my wife made the Slushie, but I did specify the ingredients).

Update 6/10: Added pictures from the run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home