First Marathon and other Insane things

Friday, June 30, 2006

For a short run, some strange stuff

Today's run: Recovery run of 4 miles at 9:03 pace including 4 x 100m strides

I'm concerned about my left leg.

Today's run should have been trivial. One Mission Loop, one out and back, and some pick it up and stride 100 meter pushes. However, when I got to the 100 meter strides, I could barely summon any speed, and my leg was hurting. Let's break down all the pains in my left leg, shall we?

  • Shin. My shin hurts at the start of each run. On longer runs, it tends to go away after the first mile or two. Today, it went from sharp pain to dull pain, and never really let go.
  • Knee. No longer is the inner area, consistent with the Plica, the issue. This is a pain on the outside and lower middle area. It flashes with a sharp pain for a moment at a time. Today, it flashed once when I was five minutes in, and again when I was 16 minutes in, and a little during the strides. Subsequent to the run, walking around, I have felt it flash a few times.
  • Hip. Earlier in the week, I would feel pain in the upper leg near my backside, and in a different area more on the side of the hip region. I have felt this much less as the week progressed, but I did feel it grab at me a bit while doing the strides.
What this added up to was a strange feeling that I could not go fast, no matter what, when it came time to do the strides. So after four moderate paced ones and a fifth, abortive attempt, I just bagged on the sixth one.

Hopefully, I'll feel different tomorrow, or the pains will go away as I get more warmed up into the 17 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home